How LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Unlocks Freethinking
|"Wild Legosaurs Spotted" by tico_24 is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.
Yesterday, 28th January, the world celebrated the boundless creativity and problem-solving spirit of International LEGO® Day. This day marks the anniversary of the patent filing for the original LEGO® brick in 1958, a humble invention that has sparked the imaginations of generations of builders and dreamers. From the iconic 2x4 brick to the intricate worlds of LEGO® Technic and Harry Potter, these colourful blocks have the power to transport us to realms of endless possibility.
And today, 29th January, we shift gears to celebrate Freethinkers Day. This day is dedicated to the unwavering pursuit of independent thought, critical inquiry, and the courage to challenge established beliefs. It's a day to honor the intellectual pioneers who have dared to question the status quo and pave the way for a more open and questioning world.
While seemingly disparate, these two days share a deep connection. LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® (LSP), a facilitation methodology that utilizes LEGO® bricks as a tool for problem-solving and creative thinking, bridges the gap between playful exploration and intellectual rigour.
There are several ways in which LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® (LSP) directly ties in with freethinking:
- Breaking Away from Conventional Thinking: LSP encourages participants to move outside their usual modes of communication and problem-solving. By using LEGO® bricks as a non-verbal medium, individuals can bypass preconceived notions and express themselves in new and unexpected ways. This free-flowing environment allows for divergent thinking and the exploration of unconventional solutions.
- Play as a Catalyst for Curiosity: LSP taps into the power of play. Playful exploration opens the mind to new possibilities and fosters a sense of curiosity. This mindset aligns with freethinking, which encourages questioning assumptions, challenging conventional wisdom, and exploring alternative perspectives.
- Hands-on Learning and Discovery: LSP is a highly experiential method. By actively building with LEGO® bricks, participants construct not only physical models but also mental representations of their ideas. This hands-on learning process allows for deeper understanding and discovery, key aspects of freethinking.
- Embracing Individuality and Collaboration: LSP emphasizes the value of every participant's unique perspective. The process encourages active listening and respectful sharing, creating a safe space for diverse viewpoints to be heard and considered. This fosters a collaborative environment where freethinking can flourish.
- Openness to Different Solutions: There are no "right" or "wrong" answers in LSP. Participants are encouraged to experiment, iterate, and refine their models. This fosters an open-minded approach to problem-solving that aligns with the ideals of freethinking.
Overall, LSP provides a fertile ground for freethinking to blossom. By combining playful exploration, hands-on learning, and collaboration, it creates a space where individuals can break free from limitations, explore new ideas, and contribute their unique perspectives.
So, while International LEGO® Day and Freethinkers Day may fall on separate days, LSP bridges the gap between them, offering a powerful tool for unlocking freethinking in individuals and groups alike.