Being an Adult Fan of LEGO® and also working with LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®
|"The Windmill in My Studio" by Karen Grayburn.|
This weekend just gone I was displaying at Oban Winter Bricks as part of the Oban Winter Festival on the West Coast of Scotland. It got me thinking about how I use LEGO® personally and how I use it professionally.
Adult fans of LEGO® (AFOLs) are a passionate and diverse group of individuals who have maintained their love of LEGO® bricks well into adulthood. They are often collectors, builders, and creators who enjoy the challenges and rewards of using LEGO® bricks to express their creativity and bring their ideas to life.
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® (LSP) is a unique facilitation methodology that harnesses the power of LEGO bricks to enhance communication, foster creative problem-solving, and unlock innovation. AFOLs have been instrumental in the development and adoption of LSP, bringing their expertise and passion for LEGO® to this innovative approach to problem-solving.
AFOLs are drawn to LSP for several reasons:
- Creativity and Innovation: LSP provides a structured and supportive environment for AFOLs to explore their creativity and generate new ideas. The process of building and storytelling encourages them to think outside the box, challenge assumptions, and produce innovative solutions.
- Hands-on Learning: AFOLs enjoy the hands-on nature of LSP, which allows them to learn and problem-solve through direct experience. The use of LEGO® bricks as a tangible medium helps them to externalize their thoughts and ideas, making it easier to understand and communicate their concepts.
- Community and Collaboration: LSP workshops bring together AFOLs from diverse backgrounds and expertise, providing opportunities for collaboration and shared learning. AFOLs appreciate the opportunity to connect with other LEGO® enthusiasts and share their passion for the bricks.
- Problem-solving: LSP is a powerful tool for solving complex problems. AFOLs bring their creativity and problem-solving skills to the workshop, working together to identify challenges, develop solutions, and create action plans.
AFOLs have played a significant role in the growth and popularity of LSP. Their passion for LEGO® and their willingness to experiment with new approaches have helped to refine the methodology and make it applicable to a wide range of settings.
Here are some examples of how AFOLs are using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®:
- Businesses: AFOLs are using LSP to facilitate strategic planning, team building, and product development. The methodology is helping businesses to improve communication, collaboration, and innovation.
- Educational institutions: AFOLs are introducing LSP into schools and universities, using it to enhance student engagement, promote creativity, and develop problem-solving skills.
- Community organizations: AFOLs are using LSP to address community challenges, such as social inclusion, environmental sustainability, and economic development. The methodology is helping to bring people together, spark new ideas, and generate positive change.
The impact of AFOLs on LSP is profound. Their dedication to the bricks and their willingness to explore new possibilities have made LSP a valuable tool for individuals, organizations, and communities around the world.